Roulette is a classic and exhilarating game played in casinos worldwide. Roulette originated in France in 1842 with the same layout implemented in gaming centers today. This strategy game can be enjoyed by beginners and experts alike. With a few simple rules and tips, the avid gamer can win big and have fun playing a roulette game. Your lucky number may prove to be luckier at the roulette table.
Colorado Casinos are proud to present a vivacious game of roulette for newcomers and returning visitors. If you’re unsure how to play, read on for our instructions. When you’re looking to up your knowledge, you may also read on to enhance your strategy for winning.
Rules for Roulette
- A roulette wheel and board are set up with 36 numbers; a “0”; and occasionally, a “00” marking. The board is divided into red and black squares. The croupier launches a white ball to land on a number.
- Gamers can bet on all reds, blacks, odd, or even numbers for a payoff of 1:1. These are called outside bets. However, some choose to play differently using forms of inside bets to increase their odds of winning.
- Split betting is when a player chooses two numbers and pays 17:1.
- Straight betting is when one number pays 35:1.
- Street betting on three numbers pays 11:1. You can bet on three numbers with one chip.
- Betting on four numbers is called corner betting and pays 8:1.
- Six bets pay 5:1 and are implemented by placing a chip on one row.
- Players must consider the odds of winning. The casino’s advantage is 2.7 percent with a single 0 on the table. Boards with 00 give the casino an advantage of 5.26 percent.
- Your table may also have a board with previous numbers highlighted. This shouldn’t deter you from playing certain numbers, as the table remains the same every time.
- Watch other players before taking your turn. Dealers may have certain mechanisms for releasing the ball and this could be an advantage to your game.
- Finally, place your bet! Tables may charge differently for inside and outside betting, so plan your game accordingly.
Tips for Winning
Newcomers and roulette aficionados alike can benefit from a few tips from the experts. Here’s what we’ve learned.
- Outside bets will increase your chances of winning.
- Stay with the table minimum. Roulette can get pricey and is generally the hardest game to bet on in a casino.
- Some casinos offer European-style roulette tables. These give the house half of the advantage of an American wheel. These tables may present a higher minimum bet, but the payout is generally greater.
- Ask about the “en prison” rule. This applies to even number bets and lowers the house advantage to 1.35 percent. The ball can be “locked up” if it lands on 0 for another spin. If the next spin coincides with your original bet, the house will return your money.
- Say you bet on black for $100 and the ball lands on 0. If the ball lands on 0, you receive another spin. If the ball lands on black, the dealer will hand you your $100 back. If it lands on red, you lose. If the ball lands on 0 again, it remains “en prison” for another round.
- Know when it’s time to quit. While roulette is possible to win, the house keeps an advantage. Try to stay even with your bets and you will walk away with winnings in your pocket.