Make the Most of Your Trip to Black Hawk, CO
When you think of Colorado, you’re likely thinking of beautiful snow-covered mountains or other traditional winter scenes. While it’s true that Colorado is a great place to visit in the winter, the truth is that there’s plenty of excellent reasons to visit in summer. Black Hawk, CO is Colorado’s top gaming destination, but that’s not all there is to do. Make the most of your summer vacation by choosing Black Hawk as your destination. There are so many things to do, you may want to stay a little longer than you originally planned.
Top Ten Things to Do in Black Hawk, CO During the Summer
- Visit the Museums – If you’re looking to get the most out of your money, you will do well to visit our local museums and learn about the area’s history. The Gilpin History Museum and the Thomas House Museum are both only $6 to see and are located in Central City.
- Mine for Gold – If you haven’t had much luck in the casinos, try mining for gold. This fun activity is perfect for families. Visit the Hidee Gold Mine to mine for your own gold. It’s recommended that you make a reservation. You should also check out the Coeur D’Alene Mine to see old mining equipment.
- Art Galleries & Photo Studios – If you appreciate culture, you’ll enjoy the Gilpin County Arts Association Gallery. IT features art from Rocky Mountain artists. If you want a cool souvenir to post on social media, check out Reliving the Past Studio. You’ll wear authentic old West attire and get your photo taken and printed for $40.
- Central City Opera House – You’ll want to check the schedule ahead of time, but any show is excellent at this opera house built in 1978.
- Old West Shootouts – If you’re in town for the weekend, be sure to check out the old West shootouts on Main Street in Black Hawk. They take place from noon to 4 pm every Saturday from June 15 through August.
- Ghost Towns – If you like visiting ghost towns, Black Hawk is the perfect place for you. There are three old abandoned mining towns nearby. Explore the ruins of Nevadaville, Apex, and Russell Gulch. The summer is the best time to visit because you won’t have to worry about the snow.
- Camping – There are plenty of places to camp for a night or longer. You can pitch a tent or bring your RV. Before you visit, do your research on sites like Central City KOA.
- Hiking & Biking – Black Hawk is home to many hiking and biking trails. Be sure to check out the Maryland Mountain trail system.
- Gaming – While you’re here, be sure to have some fun more than a dozen casinos. Sports betting has recently been added, and there are still all your old favorites, including slot machines, blackjack, and more.
- Take a Scenic Drive – If you’re looking for beautiful mountain scenery, breathtaking views, and perfect photo opportunities––a scenic drive is a must while you’re staying in Black Hawk. The Peak-to-Peak Highway and Mount Evans Scenic Byway are just a few of our favorites! Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!
Enjoying the Summer Weather in Black Hawk
With all those activities to enjoy in Black Hawk, what makes them even more enjoyable is our summer weather. Learn more about the average summer weather in Black Hawk, CO:
- June – The average high is 73° with an average low of 48° and five days of rain.
- July – The month of July sees an average high of 78° with an average low of 55° and 11 days of rain.
- August – Enjoy the beautiful weather, with average highs of 75° and lows of 52° with nine rainy days.
- September – The end of summer is marked by an average of 70° for the high and 46° for the low with five days of rain.
Make Your Summer Plans Today
Black Hawk, CO is a beautiful place to visit any time of the year. Summer gives you even more to do, without the outdoors and indoors as your playgrounds. With 1,500 hotel rooms and plenty of campsites, you may not feel like you need to plan too far ahead. But this popular destination is quite busy in the summer, so do yourself a favor and make your reservations now.